As college students, making a good first impression can make all of the difference in achieving the next goal. But, sometimes starting a conversation with a new person is difficult, especially if they’re a prospective job connection. Anyone can ask that recruiter about their day or that hiring manager about their major in college. As young black southern belles, we want to make a lasting impression by getting a little deeper. Here are 10 conversation starters to get you passed the small talk:
10 Conversation Starters to Get You Passed Small Talk
- What’s something you thought you knew and then realized you were wrong?
- Who was the last person that made a lasting impression on you? Why?
- What advice would you give to the younger version of yourself?
- What would you suggest for someone that wants to work in your field? Any special tips or organizations I could join?
- What was the last book you read that made you feel something?
- What do you do when you start to feel discouraged about something?
- Who influenced you when you were growing up? Did you have a special role model?
- Who encouraged you to get where you are today?
- What did you want to be when you were a child? Is it still the same goal?
- When did you realize that this was what you wanted to do as a career?
Take these with you to your next job fair, luncheon, or interview. Work them into the conversation and you’re sure to be remembered!
Photos by Lyndi J Photography