10 Tips to Plan a Kentucky Styled Southern Wedding
Derby season is in full effect in the South as well as wedding season. Two things we love in the South. What better way to merge these two southern traditions than through a Kentucky styled wedding?And don’t you worry because we are here to help with tips from Victoria Staton of VSI Events. This Kentucky Belle shared with us her top 10 tips for designing the perfect Kentucky inspired wedding. Read for some inspiration and we suggest drinking a mint julep and wearing a sunhat while you are at it.
Words from Victoria: As a lady that was born and raised here in the great state of Kentucky and the home of the Derby, there are many things that make KY unique. In order to have a Kentucky Styled Southern Wedding, you need to:
1. Book a historic site such a The Henry Clay, Farmington Historic Home, or the Seelbach Hilton, where F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote the Great Gatsby.
2. Bring the bourbon! Kentucky is literally the bourbon capital with distilleries that include Evan Williams, Bulleit, and Woodford Reserve just to name a few.
3. Serve a hot brown, whether it is in the form of an hors d’oeuvre or a late night snack, your guests will love it!
4. Set off the fireworks! An event in the annual Derby Festival, Thunder Over Louisville comes to mind when I think of Kentucky. Opt to end the night with a bang!
5. The goldenrod is our state flower, so why not include that beauty in your bridal and bridesmaid’s bouquets centerpieces, and other places that need a floral touch.
6. Love horses? Contact a local stable and incorporate them into your bridal shoot – it will be unique and stunning!
7. Add as many Kentucky details as you want in your welcome bag and include items such as mini Derby Pies, Ale-8-One sodas, local coffee, or even Bauers Modjeskas caramel candies.
9. When some think Kentucky, they think rustic or outdoors. Why not bring the outdoors inside by implementing bourbon barrels and farm tables while adding a soft, airy feel through color and floral design. Pantone’s “Greenery” is a great color to bring that southern, yet elegant look to life.
10. Lastly, how can I talk Kentucky without talking about the Kentucky Derby! Some decide to add a little Derby flair by offering their guest mint juleps or having derby hats for photo-ops.
If you are still looking for more style inspiration, check ou this styled shoot done by Victoria and get all the details you need!
Michiel is a Black Southern Belle living a lowcountry life. I love all things fashion, home decor and southern! When I am not running around doing fun stuff for Black Southern Belle, I live in antique stores and have a minor obsession with historic homes 🙂