No home is complete without a fully dressed table, ready for #Christmas dinner. But finding the perfect tablecloth, chargers, napkins, china, and centerpieces can get pretty overwhelming. Follow these steps to transform your plain old #tabletop to a breathtaking tablescape.
- Pick a color scheme. Seems like common sense, right? Finding the tablecloth or charger can become a lot easier when you have an idea of complementary colors in mind before you step foot in a store. Consider the decorations you already have, and use colors that may be featured in your home as accents. If you’re lucky enough to have more than one table to set, feel free to let those tables do their own thing based on the decor of their respective room.
2. Choose a focal point. Do you want your guests focused on the fresh flower arrangement at the center of the table, or your darling china set? Once you answer that question, or any variation of it, go to work building around the most important piece on your table. The rest of the tablescape won’t compete with it, but should be just as pleasant to look at.
3. Start simple. If this is your first time planning a tablescape from start to finish, feel free to stick to basics. Don’t be scared to buy an entire set from Belk or Target. Remember that you can go with a runner instead of a tablecloth, and that your centerpiece can be something as simple as nicely-arranged candles on a unique placemat. If you’re a seasoned tablescaper looking to spice things up, consider adding new accents, like napkin rings, goblet charms, or coasters.
4. Buy extra. Be sure to purchase things in sets, with at least two extra. If your table seats six, have complete place settings for eight. This is scientifically proven to prevent heart attacks and hissy fits when accidents happen and Tide won’t get the job done.
5. Make a list, and check it twice. Keep a running log of what you need, what you have, and how many of everything you have. This list is your tablescape bible, showing what’s been lost or broken, and where it was purchased in case you need to replace it. It’ll come in handy when packing and unpacking your tablescape in years to come.
Your tablescape is a place to unleash your creativity and spread Christmas cheer. Don’t let decorating daunt you! Check out our Instagram for some inspiration, and share your masterpiece with us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter using the #blacksouthernbelle hashtag!0