HBCU Homecomings are truly a sensational part of Fall for all of my Black Southern Belles. We have already established that attending an HBCU Homecoming is a must, but one of the most memorable parts of the homecoming other than winning the big game, tailgating, weekly events, and step shows, is the crowning of Homecoming Queen. Below are 10 vintage HBCU Homecoming Queen looks that we love.
1. The adorable 1958 Miss. Fisk University, Lutonia Graham is captured here sitting simply beautiful with her face framed with her perfectly pinned updo, wearing her gorgeous scoop neck gown spread around her and she has a such a sincere smile!
2. Photographed here is the lovely 1930 Miss. Southern University,A�Lenora Jones-Washington looking elegant as ever with her soft crimped hair, detailed short, lace gown, classy pumps, and holding her school banner with much pride.
3. Crowned “Queen Cinderella,” in 1954, Evelyn Baranco served as an amazing candidate at the Annual Mardi Gras Ball of Xavier University of Louisiana. So amazing, she was actually a feature in Jet magazine. She models her long, fluffy, spaghetti strap gown with her glamorous tiara and handsome prince.
5. 1954 Fraternity Queen At Howard University, Patricia Adams has on such an exquisite gown as she accepts her bouquet and has her curly hair flows beneath her tiara.
6. 1954 Miss. Huston-Tillotson, Ada Lee Gipson is am example of pure royalty as her wonderful gown is topped with a robe fit for a queen with her beautiful bouquet cradled in her arms as she is crowned.
8.A�These beautiful women are enjoying their homecoming float for Johnson C. Smith University in the 1960s. They all look amazing with their pretty strapless, ruffle bottom gowns and tasteful hair styles.
9. Excitement is filled in the eyes of each of these queens (and the guy) as they accomplish something special in their vivid 80s-90s trends. They rock plaid, bright colors, nice fluffy afros and straightened hair, as they smile with glee.6