Memorial Day is celebrated every May but few people know that it has strong southern and African American Roots. According to SavingPlaces.org, ” Every May, the nation marks Memorial Day, the longstanding tradition we use to recognize fallen veterans. The holiday has its origins in “Decoration Day,” originally held in Charleston, South Carolina in 1865, when […]
HBCU Homecomings are truly a sensational part of Fall for all of my Black Southern Belles. We have already established that attending an HBCU Homecoming is a must, but one of the most memorable parts of the homecoming other than winning the big game, tailgating, weekly events, and step shows, is the crowning of Homecoming Queen. Below are 10 vintage HBCU Homecoming Queen looks that we love.
1. The adorable 1958 Miss. Fisk University, Lutonia Graham is captured here sitting simply beautiful with her face framed with her perfectly pinned updo, wearing her gorgeous scoop neck gown spread around her and she has a such a sincere smile!
2. Photographed here is the lovely 1930 Miss. Southern University,A�Lenora Jones-Washington looking elegant as ever with her soft crimped hair, detailed short, lace gown, classy pumps, and holding her school banner with much pride.
3. Crowned “Queen Cinderella,” in 1954, Evelyn Baranco served as an amazing candidate at the Annual Mardi Gras Ball of Xavier University of Louisiana. So amazing, she was actually a feature in Jet magazine. She models her long, fluffy, spaghetti strap gown with her glamorous tiara and handsome prince.
5. 1954 Fraternity Queen At Howard University, Patricia Adams has on such an exquisite gown as she accepts her bouquet and has her curly hair flows beneath her tiara.
6. 1954 Miss. Huston-Tillotson, Ada Lee Gipson is am example of pure royalty as her wonderful gown is topped with a robe fit for a queen with her beautiful bouquet cradled in her arms as she is crowned.
8.A�These beautiful women are enjoying their homecoming float for Johnson C. Smith University in the 1960s. They all look amazing with their pretty strapless, ruffle bottom gowns and tasteful hair styles.
9. Excitement is filled in the eyes of each of these queens (and the guy) as they accomplish something special in their vivid 80s-90s trends. They rock plaid, bright colors, nice fluffy afros and straightened hair, as they smile with glee.
As much as I love my home, just a few weeks ago, my backyard was not my favorite space. With help from Pavestone and Home Depot, I was able to create and style a beautiful southern outdoor oasis. Over a few days, my husband and mother were able to transform our backyard into a beautiful […]
Looking for some last minute derby party inspiration? We have you covered. Today we are showing some fun from our recent Black Southern Belle party with Kentucky Derby Baby Shower Style. From classic red roses, to fun antiques and a fair share of horses, these images are sure to inspire you for your last minute […]
Today we are featuring one of the most important leaders of the Civil Rights Movement. A Mississippi native and political power house, Hamer is a truly powerful Black Southern Belle. Today we are showcasing her power throughA�12 Prolific Images of Fannie Lou Hamer. Hamer shaped the world we live in today and we are honored […]
Sring is here and we are ready for outdoor entertaining. If you are looking for some inspiration for tips on how to create a southern inspired outdoor oasis, we have exactly what you need. We partnered with Home Depot for the Patio Style Challenge. Using products from Home Depota��s Mix and Match collection, we were […]
From Daisy Bates to Oprah Winfrey, black women in the South have blazed the trails of journalism. We reached out to black female journalists — women who are either from the South or who now call the region home– to ask them how they found their voices for storytelling. We also asked them to recommend […]
Spring is here and that means it is time to pull out your favorite southern styles. Nothing says spring in the South quite like a great plaid piece. This forever classic pattern adds a bit of chic to any outfits.A� Today we have Tips for Styling with Plaid fromA� Unlikely Martha and Unlikely Market. These […]
Do you want to add a little touch of elegance to your home? Antiques are a great way to start. Whether you have a modern condo or a classic Victorian dwelling, antiques are always a great way to add layered style to any southern home. With help from Tennessee based Interior Designer, Chad James, we […]
Mother’s Day is right around the girl. Every Black Southern Belle has a mother or mother figure who helped shaped them into who they are. Why not celebrate your mom with a stylish gift. Today we have a curated list ofA�Black Owned Mother’s Day Gifts from Effie’s Paper.A� These gifts are sure to be a […]
Do you love music and home decor? Why not blend those two interests together. If you want to add a bit of soul to your home, check out these AfricanA�American Album Covers to Use as Art. You can choose from any era or any genre, these are favorite ways to add some personality to any […]