HBCU Homecomings are truly a sensational part of Fall for all of my Black Southern Belles. We have already established that attending an HBCU Homecoming is a must, but one of the most memorable parts of the homecoming other than winning the big game, tailgating, weekly events, and step shows, is the crowning of Homecoming Queen. Below are 10 vintage HBCU Homecoming Queen looks that we love.
1. The adorable 1958 Miss. Fisk University, Lutonia Graham is captured here sitting simply beautiful with her face framed with her perfectly pinned updo, wearing her gorgeous scoop neck gown spread around her and she has a such a sincere smile!
2. Photographed here is the lovely 1930 Miss. Southern University, Lenora Jones-Washington looking elegant as ever with her soft crimped hair, detailed short, lace gown, classy pumps, and holding her school banner with much pride.
3. Crowned “Queen Cinderella,” in 1954, Evelyn Baranco served as an amazing candidate at the Annual Mardi Gras Ball of Xavier University of Louisiana. So amazing, she was actually a feature in Jet magazine. She models her long, fluffy, spaghetti strap gown with her glamorous tiara and handsome prince.
5. 1954 Fraternity Queen At Howard University, Patricia Adams has on such an exquisite gown as she accepts her bouquet and has her curly hair flows beneath her tiara.
6. 1954 Miss. Huston-Tillotson, Ada Lee Gipson is am example of pure royalty as her wonderful gown is topped with a robe fit for a queen with her beautiful bouquet cradled in her arms as she is crowned.
8. These beautiful women are enjoying their homecoming float for St. Augustine College in the 1960s. They all look amazing with their pretty strapless, ruffle bottom gowns and tasteful hair styles.
9. Excitement is filled in the eyes of each of these queens (and the guy) as they accomplish something special in their vivid 80s-90s trends. They rock plaid, bright colors, nice fluffy afros and straightened hair, as they smile with glee.
Do you have dreams of a southern winter wedding? As a former February bride, I adore a winter wedding, especially a Southern one. If you are looking for a beautiful winter location for your nuptials, we have exactly the list you need. Check out our 7 Under-the-Radar Southern Winter Wedding Destinations today and get inspiration for […]
Our homes are a reflection of ourselves and for a Black Southern Belle that is especially important. We choose the way they look, the finer details and colorful accents, and this in turn reflects who we are. When you personalize your home, you don’t just make it feel like your own, you make it look […]
Let’s face it, Black Southern Belles are classy women who embrace their sense of style and grace, which sets them apart. Outdoor fashion defines our image outside the home, but once the door closes and inside the home, having that special loungewear that enhances our beauty, charm and yes, sex appeal is a simple joy […]
As a Black Southern Belle, we grew up living for Sunday Dinners. We got to see our family, eat some of our favorite foods and enjoy downtime after church and before the school week started. Throughout the South, Sunday dinner is a ritual that we all look forward to and hopefully will pass down to our traditions. Today we […]
Are you in love with everything rustic and obsess over anything you see on Fixer Upper? Are you also busy working on your business and career? Why not blend those to passions with a rustic-inspired office? If this describes you we have 4 Tips for Decorating a Rustic Inspired Office from Katie Skoloff, Founder and Principal Designer of […]
Howard Homecoming is just around the around. Although I won’t be able to attend this year, I will be there in spirit by hosting a Tailgating and Dinner party at my home. If you are missing out on Howard University Tailgating this year, get some inspiration from our Howard University Tailgating and Dinner Party Inspiration Video. We […]
Tailgate season is here and we are so excited. Nothing like an HBCU homecoming season and we are so excited these favorites for the FAMU Belle. Check out a few of our favorite Florida Classic Tailgating Essentials from Tervis as well as their favorite tailgate selections! Be sure to share your tailgating fun with us on social […]
Today we have a beautiful home tour in the bustling southern city of Charlotte, NC. If you are as enamored by this space as we are, the designer behind this tour, Cheryl Luckett, founder of Dwell by Cheryl Interiors, is here to help. Cheryl is a Mississippi belle based in Charlotte, NC and she has given us 3 Tips to […]
We rarely get to use our chimneys in the South but when we get the chance to do it, we love them. Whether you have a wood burning or gas fireplace it is important to properly prepare them for the fall and winter seasons to ensure both their functionality and your safety. Accidents involving fireplaces can […]
Getting married is an exciting experience, no doubt. That’s probably why after the bridal showers and wedding receptions, finances are one of the last things you’re likely to think about., Quite like changing the oil in your car, managing finances can be tricky – so here are six financial tips for newlyweds just getting started. […]