HBCU Homecomings are truly a sensational part of Fall for all of my Black Southern Belles. We have already established that attending an HBCU Homecoming is a must, but one of the most memorable parts of the homecoming other than winning the big game, tailgating, weekly events, and step shows, is the crowning of Homecoming Queen. Below are 10 vintage HBCU Homecoming Queen looks that we love.
1. The adorable 1958 Miss. Fisk University, Lutonia Graham is captured here sitting simply beautiful with her face framed with her perfectly pinned updo, wearing her gorgeous scoop neck gown spread around her and she has a such a sincere smile!
2. Photographed here is the lovely 1930 Miss. Southern University, Lenora Jones-Washington looking elegant as ever with her soft crimped hair, detailed short, lace gown, classy pumps, and holding her school banner with much pride.
3. Crowned “Queen Cinderella,” in 1954, Evelyn Baranco served as an amazing candidate at the Annual Mardi Gras Ball of Xavier University of Louisiana. So amazing, she was actually a feature in Jet magazine. She models her long, fluffy, spaghetti strap gown with her glamorous tiara and handsome prince.
5. 1954 Fraternity Queen At Howard University, Patricia Adams has on such an exquisite gown as she accepts her bouquet and has her curly hair flows beneath her tiara.
6. 1954 Miss. Huston-Tillotson, Ada Lee Gipson is am example of pure royalty as her wonderful gown is topped with a robe fit for a queen with her beautiful bouquet cradled in her arms as she is crowned.
8. These beautiful women are enjoying their homecoming float for St. Augustine College in the 1960s. They all look amazing with their pretty strapless, ruffle bottom gowns and tasteful hair styles.
9. Excitement is filled in the eyes of each of these queens (and the guy) as they accomplish something special in their vivid 80s-90s trends. They rock plaid, bright colors, nice fluffy afros and straightened hair, as they smile with glee.
Tons of planning goes into the wedding and making sure your guests enjoy themselves. But there are a few special moments during the wedding process that are just for the couple and one of these moments is the Engagement Session. This photo session is a chance to enjoy each other and bask in the moment […]
Are you in the process of planning a birthday party for your little one? Today we are here to help with tips from southern mom, Ashleigh L Murriel, PhD. This Georgia mom threw her daughter, a Scarlett Grace’s first birthday a true Georgia Peach Birthday Party. Get some inspiration on How to Plan a Southern Baby Party with […]
Do you dream of the tropical resorts and a beautiful beachfront view? So do we and there is nothing wrong with that. No matter what stage of life you are, you should always enjoy life with style and celebrate yourself. Today we have some inspiration for the expecting mothers. If coastal style is your thing, […]
Howard University Alum dream about homecoming all year long. From the moment we step back off the plane to our real lives, we are already plotting and planning for next years homecoming festivities. If you are an alum who has to travel back and forth to the Mecca each year, you should take every opportunity […]
Hosting a brunch after FAMU Homecoming? We are here to help. No need to host your friends at a busy restaurant, skip the line and have a party in your home or at another friend’s home. We know rattlers are stylish ladies and exude Black Southern Belle style. Today we are choosing a few 7 […]
HBCU homecoming season will be here before you know it and there is nothing like an HBCU tailgate. Today we are giving you some our favorite southern tailgate essentials to up your tailgate game. If you are looking for some fall fun, make sure to add a few HBCU Homecoming events to your schedule. Get […]
Every Black Southern Belle Bride loves getting dolled up and taking pictures. But even as much as we love it, our bridal portraits are a special breed of pictures. If you are a recently engaged bride planning her bridal portraits, we are here to help. We have 3 Tips to Prepare for Bridal Portraits with help […]
Are you a busy mom who loves a well-decorated home but need some help childproofing your style?Today we are here to give you Tips on How to Have Bold Style that is Child Friendly with style influencer, designer/author Justina Blakeney and her performance fabric collectionthat features Crypton Home Fabric technology for superior stain resistance, easy […]
The family is of the utmost importance to the Black Southern Belle. From Sunday dinner to church gatherings, we are always thinking of our family first. As summer comes to a close, we want to highlight one of the biggest and most cherished family traditions, the African American Family Reunion. From the food to the […]
Whether you are a Black Southern Belle bride or just love hosting a formal party, calligraphy should be in your arsenal of party tools. If you are looking for inspiration on what to consider when choosing wedding calligraphy, we have the resource for you. Veteran Calligraphers, Laura Hooper and Alyssa hooper have released a Pinterest-worthy […]