Spring is the perfect time to get that jump start in your #career you have been waiting to do. As #Black Southern Belles we are taught to plan, follow the rules, and all good things will come you. If only life were that simple.
When we were at homecomings in college we would see alumni with all of these great jobs and seemingly perfect life and we just new our lives would be some southern version of Sex and the City.
Photos by Aneris Photography
Oh what a rude awakening we all had when we got our first jobs and realized maybe we don’t want to do this rest of our life, maybe money does matter more, maybe money is not the end all be all. No matter what dilemma you may have, there is a way to get out of it.
Black Southern Belle Career: How to Change Careers Without Going Insane
- Start a company in your spare time: Don’t be afraid to do something on the side. It may not be that huge leap you keep saying you will do but there is nothing wrong with starting somewhere. You can simply buy a URL, make a facebook page or instagram account but do something to get that professional growth started.
- Join a professional organization of your future career: What better way to make a career change than to join a membership organization. You can build your network, gain some skill sets/leadership opportunities and maybe even get some new friends.
- Get involved in your schools’ alumni association: Your pre existing network is one of the best resources in your job hunt. You spent four years and a lot of money on your degree. Make sure to get your money’s worth. Your alumni association will usually have a job bank or even a alumni directory that can be a good networking starting point.
- Start an accountability team: Get a group of your best girl friends together who want a career switch and keep each other accountable. It can be as simple as an email check in once a week or a weekly phone call or dinner. Just make sure you have a team that is there to get you through it all and have fun while doing it!
- Do not be afraid of LinkedIn: Join some groups on LinkedIn that match your career interests. Feel free to reach out to some of the more active users on the group for advice on the field. You can also go through your current network and see who is the space or knows people in profession where you want to transition.
No matter what embrace the change. You want it and you deserve it. Go ahead an get started. Grab yourself some sweet tea and turn on your favorite Pandora station (Outkast is my top choice) and get going!