Summertime is approching and the southern heat is unnavoidable. BSB Hacks for Summer Gardening will protect your garden from a few of the common summer garden issues. Now that Spring is coming to an end it is important to take extra precatutions in the garden.
After spending all of your time and money on vacations. snowcones, and those cute summer shorts… your garden is left to suffer. Any black southern belle could use these simple and effective hacks to keep their garden thriving.
1. Egg Shells can be used in the garden multiple ways. Cracked shells can be used to start growing seedlings in. The shells can also be crushed into a powder and sprinkled onto the ground around plants.
2. Wood Pallets for Storage: Using wooden pallets are a cheap solution to stoarge in many areas, including the garden. There are so many creative ways to incorprate upcycled pallets in your garden design.
3. Ice Cream Cones: There will be plenty of opportunities to use this hack this summer. Plant seedlings inside stale ice cream cones to create biodegradable pots.
4. Wine Bottles: Fill an empty wine bottle with water and insert the bottle opening in the ground next to your plant. This is a watering bulb, it will keep your plants alive while you’re away.
5. Silverware: Don’t throw away all the forks from the picnic, recycle them! This hack can be used for protection or organization in the garden. For example, bury forks surrounding your plants to keep animals out your garden.
6. Liquid Compost: This jar of bannana peels may look disgusting but your garden will thank you. Take your normal compost pile and liquify it. Pour it directly into your soil so your plants can absorb all of the nutrients.
7. Coffee Grounds: Coffee is a staple for most hard working black southern belles. Stop throwing away your coffee grounds each and every morning! They can be used to help you garden thrive this summer.
8. DIY Self-Watering Plants: Grab a large pot of water, lots of papertowels, and all of your house plants. Roll the papertowel as tight as possible, then place one end in the water and the other in a plant. The plants will water themselves as needed and you can enjoy your vacation!
9. Recycle Plastic Bottles: This hack is a genius way to protect your plants from the unpredictable summer. Cut an empty two little bottle in half and sheild your seedlings or plants. Simple and can add that Southern charm!