Memorial Day is celebrated every May but few people know that it has strong southern and African American Roots. According to SavingPlaces.org, ” Every May, the nation marks Memorial Day, the longstanding tradition we use to recognize fallen veterans. The holiday has its origins in “Decoration Day,” originally held in Charleston, South Carolina in 1865, when […]
Whether you are a Black Southern Belle bride or just love hosting a formal party, calligraphy should be in your arsenal of party tools. If you are looking for inspiration on what to consider when choosing wedding calligraphy, we have the resource for you. Veteran Calligraphers, Laura Hooper and Alyssa hooper have released A�a Pinterest-worthy coffee table bookA�Wedding CalligraphyA�(Skyhorse Publishing, May 2017) A�to help you on your calligraphy journey. A�As you plan your wedding these experts have given us the insight onA�Five Things to Consider When Choosing Wedding Calligraphy and check out their advice below:
– Style – you want to look for a calligraphy whose work is in like with the style youa��d like to use in your own wedding. If you are sending a calligraphy examples of what youa��d like her or him to emulate for your wedding, ita��s great if you can pull screenshots from their own website or social media platforms so you know your styles line up.
– Budget – there are calligraphers available at a range of price points, but keep in mind that lower priced calligraphers are most likely less experienced which can mean slower turn-around times and lower quality work. Like all other wedding vendors, you will get what you pay for. This isna��t necessarily negative as everyone has different priorities for the various components of their wedding.
– Offerings – some calligraphers offer handwritten work only, while others offer handwritten, design & printing services. This more “full-servicea�? calligraphy vendor will allow you to create a cohesive look throughout your wedding stationery. If a calligrapher you like does not offer full service design & printing, you can always ask if they offer their work digitally for other stationers to incorporate into your stationery suite, and then the calligrapher handles the handwritten aspects such as envelopes, escort cards, place cards, signage, etc.
– Location – while many calligraphers work with clients all around the world without issue, if you are more comfortable working with vendors that are local to you (for those last minute changes, perhaps!), be sure you visit a calligraphera��s website in the About You section. Just because they pop up in your Google search, doesna��t necessarily mean he or she is located in your area.
– Experience – years of experience working with wedding clients doesna��t just affect a calligraphera��s handwritten work quality. It also plays a role in the client experience in terms of ease of booking, clarity on terms & policies, shipping practices, turnaround time, availability for questions and more.
As much as I love my home, just a few weeks ago, my backyard was not my favorite space. With help from Pavestone and Home Depot, I was able to create and style a beautiful southern outdoor oasis. Over a few days, my husband and mother were able to transform our backyard into a beautiful […]
Looking for some last minute derby party inspiration? We have you covered. Today we are showing some fun from our recent Black Southern Belle party with Kentucky Derby Baby Shower Style. From classic red roses, to fun antiques and a fair share of horses, these images are sure to inspire you for your last minute […]
Today we are featuring one of the most important leaders of the Civil Rights Movement. A Mississippi native and political power house, Hamer is a truly powerful Black Southern Belle. Today we are showcasing her power throughA�12 Prolific Images of Fannie Lou Hamer. Hamer shaped the world we live in today and we are honored […]
Sring is here and we are ready for outdoor entertaining. If you are looking for some inspiration for tips on how to create a southern inspired outdoor oasis, we have exactly what you need. We partnered with Home Depot for the Patio Style Challenge. Using products from Home Depota��s Mix and Match collection, we were […]
From Daisy Bates to Oprah Winfrey, black women in the South have blazed the trails of journalism. We reached out to black female journalists — women who are either from the South or who now call the region home– to ask them how they found their voices for storytelling. We also asked them to recommend […]
Spring is here and that means it is time to pull out your favorite southern styles. Nothing says spring in the South quite like a great plaid piece. This forever classic pattern adds a bit of chic to any outfits.A� Today we have Tips for Styling with Plaid fromA� Unlikely Martha and Unlikely Market. These […]
Do you want to add a little touch of elegance to your home? Antiques are a great way to start. Whether you have a modern condo or a classic Victorian dwelling, antiques are always a great way to add layered style to any southern home. With help from Tennessee based Interior Designer, Chad James, we […]
Mother’s Day is right around the girl. Every Black Southern Belle has a mother or mother figure who helped shaped them into who they are. Why not celebrate your mom with a stylish gift. Today we have a curated list ofA�Black Owned Mother’s Day Gifts from Effie’s Paper.A� These gifts are sure to be a […]
Do you love music and home decor? Why not blend those two interests together. If you want to add a bit of soul to your home, check out these AfricanA�American Album Covers to Use as Art. You can choose from any era or any genre, these are favorite ways to add some personality to any […]