Whether you are a Black Southern Belle bride or just love hosting a formal party, calligraphy should be in your arsenal of party tools. If you are looking for inspiration on what to consider when choosing wedding calligraphy, we have the resource for you. Veteran Calligraphers, Laura Hooper and Alyssa hooper have released a Pinterest-worthy coffee table book Wedding Calligraphy (Skyhorse Publishing, May 2017) to help you on your calligraphy journey. As you plan your wedding these experts have given us the insight on Five Things to Consider When Choosing Wedding Calligraphy and check out their advice below:
– Style – you want to look for a calligraphy whose work is in like with the style you’d like to use in your own wedding. If you are sending a calligraphy examples of what you’d like her or him to emulate for your wedding, it’s great if you can pull screenshots from their own website or social media platforms so you know your styles line up.
– Budget – there are calligraphers available at a range of price points, but keep in mind that lower priced calligraphers are most likely less experienced which can mean slower turn-around times and lower quality work. Like all other wedding vendors, you will get what you pay for. This isn’t necessarily negative as everyone has different priorities for the various components of their wedding.
– Offerings – some calligraphers offer handwritten work only, while others offer handwritten, design & printing services. This more “full-service” calligraphy vendor will allow you to create a cohesive look throughout your wedding stationery. If a calligrapher you like does not offer full service design & printing, you can always ask if they offer their work digitally for other stationers to incorporate into your stationery suite, and then the calligrapher handles the handwritten aspects such as envelopes, escort cards, place cards, signage, etc.
– Location – while many calligraphers work with clients all around the world without issue, if you are more comfortable working with vendors that are local to you (for those last minute changes, perhaps!), be sure you visit a calligrapher’s website in the About You section. Just because they pop up in your Google search, doesn’t necessarily mean he or she is located in your area.
– Experience – years of experience working with wedding clients doesn’t just affect a calligrapher’s handwritten work quality. It also plays a role in the client experience in terms of ease of booking, clarity on terms & policies, shipping practices, turnaround time, availability for questions and more.
Do you have dreams of a southern winter wedding? As a former February bride, I adore a winter wedding, especially a Southern one. If you are looking for a beautiful winter location for your nuptials, we have exactly the list you need. Check out our 7 Under-the-Radar Southern Winter Wedding Destinations today and get inspiration for […]
Our homes are a reflection of ourselves and for a Black Southern Belle that is especially important. We choose the way they look, the finer details and colorful accents, and this in turn reflects who we are. When you personalize your home, you don’t just make it feel like your own, you make it look […]
Let’s face it, Black Southern Belles are classy women who embrace their sense of style and grace, which sets them apart. Outdoor fashion defines our image outside the home, but once the door closes and inside the home, having that special loungewear that enhances our beauty, charm and yes, sex appeal is a simple joy […]
As a Black Southern Belle, we grew up living for Sunday Dinners. We got to see our family, eat some of our favorite foods and enjoy downtime after church and before the school week started. Throughout the South, Sunday dinner is a ritual that we all look forward to and hopefully will pass down to our traditions. Today we […]
Are you in love with everything rustic and obsess over anything you see on Fixer Upper? Are you also busy working on your business and career? Why not blend those to passions with a rustic-inspired office? If this describes you we have 4 Tips for Decorating a Rustic Inspired Office from Katie Skoloff, Founder and Principal Designer of […]
Howard Homecoming is just around the around. Although I won’t be able to attend this year, I will be there in spirit by hosting a Tailgating and Dinner party at my home. If you are missing out on Howard University Tailgating this year, get some inspiration from our Howard University Tailgating and Dinner Party Inspiration Video. We […]
Tailgate season is here and we are so excited. Nothing like an HBCU homecoming season and we are so excited these favorites for the FAMU Belle. Check out a few of our favorite Florida Classic Tailgating Essentials from Tervis as well as their favorite tailgate selections! Be sure to share your tailgating fun with us on social […]
Today we have a beautiful home tour in the bustling southern city of Charlotte, NC. If you are as enamored by this space as we are, the designer behind this tour, Cheryl Luckett, founder of Dwell by Cheryl Interiors, is here to help. Cheryl is a Mississippi belle based in Charlotte, NC and she has given us 3 Tips to […]
We rarely get to use our chimneys in the South but when we get the chance to do it, we love them. Whether you have a wood burning or gas fireplace it is important to properly prepare them for the fall and winter seasons to ensure both their functionality and your safety. Accidents involving fireplaces can […]
Getting married is an exciting experience, no doubt. That’s probably why after the bridal showers and wedding receptions, finances are one of the last things you’re likely to think about., Quite like changing the oil in your car, managing finances can be tricky – so here are six financial tips for newlyweds just getting started. […]