Cuisine is a huge part of any culture and that is particularly true for the Gullah Culture. Stretching from North Carolina to the Florida coast, this unique culture is the root of much southern and African American cuisine. Two sisters preserving Gullah cuisine are Sameka Jenkins and Emma Cromedy of Carolima’s, a Lowcountry based catering company with a specialty in Gullah cuisine and southern desserts. This dynamic duo is hosting a Gullah Dinner Pop Up Event on February 22, 2020 with more details here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gullah-pop-up-dinner-tickets-88060319787
Want to get some insight into the inspiration by Gullah cuisine and the food being served at this dinner? Check out the insight from the sisters as they reminisce about growing up Gullah.
5 Things We Love About Growing Up Gullah From the Women Behind Carolima’s
1. Learning all of the Gullah colloquialisms and still being able to use them to this day. They’re always great conversation starters
2. Sunday dinners at our grand aunt’s house. We ate dinner there EVERY Sunday after church. It was the highlight of everyone’s week
3. Learning all of the recipes that we thought nothing of at the time but have remained a tradition in our family over generations. Now we’re sharing those same recipes with our children
4. We created so many traditions that we still practice to this day. Many people call it old fashioned but I like it and I think it helps people to be more tightly knit. I think the area we grew up in is still one of the few places where people truly have a “sit-in up” when someone dies. The entire community pitches in and takes care of the family during their time of bereavement
5. The language taught us the value of code switching. At one time it was frowned upon now everyone wants to learn how to talk Gullah
The dinner will be a culmination of all of these things. The conversation will be around Gullah Quotes. The meal will be served just like a typical Sunday Gullah dinner. It will be food, fun and fellowship!
Link to Buy Tickets: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gullah-pop-up-dinner-tickets-880603197876