Jamala is known for “decorating” on a dime while having a keen eye for vintage furniture and new items that offer a unique flair. Her blog VivaLaVintage for your Home, gives incredible advice to BSBs who want to redesign their homes, especially with a small budget. Learn more about Jamala and read her expert tips for BSBs interested in putting a vintage touch on rooms in their home.
Jamala Kim Wallace
Newark, New Jersey
Whitmire, South Carolina
VivaLaVintage for your Home (Blog)
Pieces of Time Estate Sales
5 Reasons to Design your Home with Vintage Pieces
1. Decorating with antiques, vintage and delicately used furniture and household items enhances the environmental conscious mantra to recycle. rethink, recreate. I totally embrace the “go-green” decorating concept.
2. Antiques and vintage furniture are nostalgic pieces. My interest is mostly in pieces designed and manufactured in America. The quality, style and workmanship is very different of what is currently available. Also, vintage and antiques have history (some known, some unknown- it leads to the imagination of wondering about its life). Just think, “If furniture could talk- the stories it would tell.”
3. Many of the vintage and antique items have character and charm. The new furniture industry reproduces items to give a distressed look, attempting to capture “old” charm. I prefer to hunt for original distressed pieces.
4. If a piece has lasted more than 50 years old, and it’s still around, it was built to last. That means its quality made furniture.
5. They’re fun to work with; you can recreate a whole new look by reupholstering and/or painting. It also promotes small business opportunities. Dealers, upholsterers, refinishers, electricians, tinkerers, framers, restorers and others are all examples of those opportunities that stimulate the industry.