Can’t make it to homecoming this year. Take a trip with your friends instead and why not try it at a great resort. We had so much fun having a high end homecoming party at Kingsmill Resort and we can’t wait to have more fall fun. If you are looking for a great place to relax, Kingsmill Resort should be at the top of your list! If you are looking to go all out, you can rent the William Pettus House with your belles and have a blast. We sure did!
1: For your homecoming cocktail, make sure you get your guest your favorite southern wine or champagne.
2: Athough wine is essential for a cocktail you can’t go wrong with getting southern’s favorite beverage Sweet tea, preferably Pure Leaf extra sweet
3:While reminiscing on the good times of the past, also remember to toast to the many accomplishments that your and your fellows HBCU grads have accomplished and will accomplish
4: Take this Time to Network, get to know about others businesses, you may can benefit from just having a simple conversation.
5: Add some florals for a little fun to your cocktail party!
|The Flower Guy Bron||Florals|
|The Flower Guy Bron||Styling|
|Mad Hatter Vintage||Furniture Rentals|
|Waterford Event Rentals||Linens|
|Waterford Event Rentals||China Rentals|
|Lauren Perry Studio||Stationery|
|Regan Wolfrey Pro Makeup Artist||Makeup|
|Kings Mill/William Pettus House||Venue|
|Pearlice Diggs – P3 Weddings & Events||Model|
|Adrienne Rolon – Hearts Content Events||Model|
Football season is back and of course being the Black Southern Belle that you are you want to host the best tailgate for you and your guest. Your tailgate won’t be complete without delicious appetizers for your guest. So here’s 5 mouth watering southern appetizers that will be everything to your guest at your tailgate.
1. Pigs in a blanket. This is a common appetizer at parties, but to give it that Black Southern Belle touch. Instead of wrapping the mini links in a crescent roll, wrap them with your favorite brand of hickory smoked bacon. After you baked them until golden brown sprinkle some brown sugar on top to give it that Southern sweet and savory taste.
2. Coastline crab stuffed deviled eggs. Living in the south near the coast, crabs are always a big party hit. When making your deviled eggs as you usually would just add some real crab meat and some of your favorite seafood seasoning mix to give it more of that Southern seafood taste, you’re guest will be begging for more!
3. Honey Barbeque wings. Your tailgate would not be a Black Southern Belle tailgate if there wasn’t any Barbeque involved. Grill your wings rather than frying so that they will have that smoky taste, but before you put your Barbeque sauce on top mix it in your favorite brand of honey to give your wings that sweet southern taste.
4. Cream cheese pecan swirls. Although your tailgating everyone has a sweet tooth craving. So to fulfill your guest cravings make them a southern all time favorite, using the south’s favorite nut. Pecans. Your guest will definitely enjoy this sweet southern treat.
5. Turkey bacon and Barbeque sliders. This simple but but satisfying treat will have your guest very pleased. Get your favorite turkey, Swiss cheese, bacon of course and to give it that southern fresh taste go to your local farmer’s market and get a few freshly ripe tomatoes. But instead of using the boring white sandwich bread, grab a few sweet dinner rolls. To give the sliders that warming southern taste. Use your honey Barbeque mix as the sauce for your sliders. Build your sliders then toast them a little so those savory, smoked, and sweet southern flavors can combine and you have yourself a southern slider to die for!
Making these amazing appetizers for your guest will give your tailgate the Black Southern feel that every Belle needs.
Everyone who attends and who has ever attended an HBCU anticipates Homecoming season. But of course every Black Southern Belle is contemplating on how can they still look cute while showing school spirit. So to help my Belles out, here are 5 items that every southern belle should have in their wardrobe for the upcoming Homecoming season.
1: Because Homecoming season is in the Fall when temperatures drop, a nice warm scarf of your school’s colors or logos will make it easier and warmer for you to enjoy homecoming festivities
Pick up this scarf here.
2: To go along with your scarf to keep warm, get you a solid color cardigan or sweater that will bring out your school spirit in your scarf.
Get your fix of houndstoothe here.
3: Sweats. Every HBCU Belle has a pair for lazy days. But why not make your favorite sweatshirt of your school apart of your homecoming wardrobe for tailgating
Add a link pink to your casual look here.
4: Sometimes in Fall we can almost expect a mist of rain, especially in the south. So make sure you have your rain boots on hand so that the weather can’t stop you from having a fun filled homecoming experience
Add this fun boot to your wardrobe today! Purchase here.
5: Ear warmers are essential to have in the fall because you will spend most of your time outdoors for homecoming activities, to give your ear warmers a southern belle touch get them monogrammed using the colors of your school so that you’re still showing school spirit.
Cover your ears in style and purchase these fur muffs!
Links are affiliated with a commission from ShopStyle Collective
Marching bands, great athletics, school spirit out of this world, tailgating and amazing dancers are just some of the aspects that make the HBCU homecoming experience one of a kind. It is the time of year where you get to wear hoodies and varsity jackets representing your school and you get to learn your university’s history in depth with daily events and activities during the week of homecoming. Not to mention, you meet some of the many great notable alumni from your HBCU and the Greeks from the divine nine [of course] stomp holes in the yard! Besides your own HBCU homecoming, these are ten southern HBCU homecomings that you should consider attending.
1. South Carolina State University in Orangeburg, SC is home of award winning, Marching 101 and their popping Champagne Dancers. Attending their homecoming events, from their parade up to their concerts, step show, and football game (where every participant from football, band, and spirit teams are winners) is such a great experience. The big portion of local alumni make this homecoming family friendly and students from about all of the schools in South Carolina come celebrate with the Bulldogs at SC State!
2. Alabama State University in Montgomery, AL will most definitely provide you with the Turkey Day Classic you are looking for. If you don’t know what the buzz is about, visit the Almighty ASU and feel the Hornets’ sting!
3. Florida A&M University all the way down at the tip of the state [Tallahassee], is home of word famous, Marching 100. Of course, their football team in outstanding, so are their concerts, but people will travel miles away just to sit in the stadium and hear the melodies of Marching 100 and see the Diamond Dancers dazzle!
4. Winston-Salem State University of Winston- Salem, NC has one of the greatest homecoming experiences ever. From having world renowned artists and comedians perform, to their great Greeks, and what can be considered some of the greatest HBCU cheer squads ever, you should really go rumble with the Rams!
5. Clark Atlanta University in the “capital of the South” is sure to show you a good time during homecoming. I am pretty sure you are aware of all of the hot celebs that come straight out of the “dirty dirty,” and you know performers show plenty of love to their hometowns, which is why you should really attend a Clark Atlanta homecoming, other than the great athletics, food, and school spirit.
6. Southern University at Baton Rouge can give you a lifetime homecoming experience with the true Dancing Dolls! This homecoming game alone will keep you hype the entire time, so just imagine all of the other festivities that this beautiful school has to offer in this interesting city.
7. Texas Southern University’s homecoming is really one for the books. These homecomings do things a little differently from other HBCU homecomings, such as bowl-a-thons and a golf tournament. If you want classic HBCU homecoming with a twist, this would be a perfect option for you.
8. North Carolina A&T University of Greensboro, NC is known as “the greatest homecoming on earth.” If you go to an HBCU, your school pride will definitely make you beg to differ about it being “the greatest homecoming on earth,” but let’s be real… you and I both know for a fact that it is indeed pretty close. Join the Aggie’s and never miss a beat!
9. Virginia State University has homecomings that are sure to entertain you the entire time you are there, whether you go visit the Monday during the week of homecoming, or the actually homecoming day, the Trojans will have your mind blown with all of their plenty activities.
10. Tennessee State University is open to you and your family help them “celebrate a legacy of pride and progress” with another of the best marching bands in the world. Join the Tigers and roar with pride during open season!
Can’t make it back to your favorite stomping grounds for every home game this upcoming season? Leaving college is hard, becoming a bigger fan than when you were actually attending that University? That’s easy! We know your pain of missing those HBCU Saturday Tailgates and that’s we’ve teamed up with Blueprint Registry pulled together the top picks to bring your tailgate party home this season. You bring the food and drinks day of, but you can check these hosting essentials off your list right now!
String Globe Lights for the win! This simple touch of outdoor decor will hardly make up for the beaming stadium lights, but it will sure keep your patio lit up as the party at your place gets started!
Keep the party outside all night with this Cast Stone Fire Pit. This outdoor essential will be perfect to take your summer entertaining into any and all crisp fall nights.
Copper Hammered Bar Tool Set Be sure you’ve got the liquor and mixers on deck, we can’t have a tailgate without a signature southern cocktail. Whether your guests are looking for a Gentleman Johnson or a Mint Julep, you’ll be ready to bartend with these handy.
Speaking of drinks, step up your cooler game with this Galvanized Metal Party Bucket. Keep the beers on ice in this trendy and durable bucket that will always be handy for your next home entertaining event too.
Bring the field to your place with this cute Fitted Football Field Tablecloth that will bring the spirit of the season to your party…and save your table from undeniable spills!
Now last but not least, get a little tacky and bring some school spirit home! Order some Whitley Gilbert worthy tailgating party decor and make sure everyone knows who you’re cheering on this season!
Spring is the perfect time to get that jump start in your #career you have been waiting to do. As #Black Southern Belles we are taught to plan, follow the rules, and all good things will come you. If only life were that simple.
When we were at homecomings in college we would see alumni with all of these great jobs and seemingly perfect life and we just new our lives would be some southern version of Sex and the City.
Oh what a rude awakening we all had when we got our first jobs and realized maybe we don’t want to do this rest of our life, maybe money does matter more, maybe money is not the end all be all. No matter what dilemma you may have, there is a way to get out of it.
- Start a company in your spare time: Don’t be afraid to do something on the side. It may not be that huge leap you keep saying you will do but there is nothing wrong with starting somewhere. You can simply buy a URL, make a facebook page or instagram account but do something to get that professional growth started.
- Join a professional organization of your future career: What better way to make a career change than to join a membership organization. You can build your network, gain some skill sets/leadership opportunities and maybe even get some new friends.
- Get involved in your schools’ alumni association: Your pre existing network is one of the best resources in your job hunt. You spent four years and a lot of money on your degree. Make sure to get your money’s worth. Your alumni association will usually have a job bank or even a alumni directory that can be a good networking starting point.
- Start an accountability team: Get a group of your best girl friends together who want a career switch and keep each other accountable. It can be as simple as an email check in once a week or a weekly phone call or dinner. Just make sure you have a team that is there to get you through it all and have fun while doing it!
- Do not be afraid of LinkedIn: Join some groups on LinkedIn that match your career interests. Feel free to reach out to some of the more active users on the group for advice on the field. You can also go through your current network and see who is the space or knows people in profession where you want to transition.
No matter what embrace the change. You want it and you deserve it. Go ahead an get started. Grab yourself some sweet tea and turn on your favorite Pandora station (Outkast is my top choice) and get going!