Marching bands, great athletics, school spirit out of this world, tailgating and amazing dancers are just some of the aspects that make the HBCU homecoming experience one of a kind. It is the time of year where you get to wear hoodies and varsity jackets representing your school and you get to learn your university’s history in depth with daily events and activities during the week of homecoming. Not to mention, you meet some of the many great notable alumni from your HBCU and the Greeks from the divine nine [of course] stomp holes in the yard! Besides your own HBCU homecoming, these are ten southern HBCU homecomings that you should consider attending.
1. South Carolina State University in Orangeburg, SC is home of award winning, Marching 101 and their popping Champagne Dancers. Attending their homecoming events, from their parade up to their concerts, step show, and football game (where every participant from football, band, and spirit teams are winners) is such a great experience. The big portion of local alumni make this homecoming family friendly and students from about all of the schools in South Carolina come celebrate with the Bulldogs at SC State!
2. Alabama State University in Montgomery, AL will most definitely provide you with the Turkey Day Classic you are looking for. If you don’t know what the buzz is about, visit the Almighty ASU and feel the Hornets’ sting!
3. Florida A&M University all the way down at the tip of the state [Tallahassee], is home of word famous, Marching 100. Of course, their football team in outstanding, so are their concerts, but people will travel miles away just to sit in the stadium and hear the melodies of Marching 100 and see the Diamond Dancers dazzle!
4. Winston-Salem State University of Winston- Salem, NC has one of the greatest homecoming experiences ever. From having world renowned artists and comedians perform, to their great Greeks, and what can be considered some of the greatest HBCU cheer squads ever, you should really go rumble with the Rams!
5. Clark Atlanta University in the “capital of the South” is sure to show you a good time during homecoming. I am pretty sure you are aware of all of the hot celebs that come straight out of the “dirty dirty,” and you know performers show plenty of love to their hometowns, which is why you should really attend a Clark Atlanta homecoming, other than the great athletics, food, and school spirit.
6. Southern University at Baton Rouge can give you a lifetime homecoming experience with the true Dancing Dolls! This homecoming game alone will keep you hype the entire time, so just imagine all of the other festivities that this beautiful school has to offer in this interesting city.
7. Texas Southern University’s homecoming is really one for the books. These homecomings do things a little differently from other HBCU homecomings, such as bowl-a-thons and a golf tournament. If you want classic HBCU homecoming with a twist, this would be a perfect option for you.
8. North Carolina A&T University of Greensboro, NC is known as “the greatest homecoming on earth.” If you go to an HBCU, your school pride will definitely make you beg to differ about it being “the greatest homecoming on earth,” but let’s be real… you and I both know for a fact that it is indeed pretty close. Join the Aggie’s and never miss a beat!
9. Virginia State University has homecomings that are sure to entertain you the entire time you are there, whether you go visit the Monday during the week of homecoming, or the actually homecoming day, the Trojans will have your mind blown with all of their plenty activities.
10. Tennessee State University is open to you and your family help them “celebrate a legacy of pride and progress” with another of the best marching bands in the world. Join the Tigers and roar with pride during open season!
Do you have dreams of a southern winter wedding? As a former February bride, I adore a winter wedding, especially a Southern one. If you are looking for a beautiful winter location for your nuptials, we have exactly the list you need. Check out our 7 Under-the-Radar Southern Winter Wedding Destinations today and get inspiration for […]
Our homes are a reflection of ourselves and for a Black Southern Belle that is especially important. We choose the way they look, the finer details and colorful accents, and this in turn reflects who we are. When you personalize your home, you don’t just make it feel like your own, you make it look […]
Let’s face it, Black Southern Belles are classy women who embrace their sense of style and grace, which sets them apart. Outdoor fashion defines our image outside the home, but once the door closes and inside the home, having that special loungewear that enhances our beauty, charm and yes, sex appeal is a simple joy […]
As a Black Southern Belle, we grew up living for Sunday Dinners. We got to see our family, eat some of our favorite foods and enjoy downtime after church and before the school week started. Throughout the South, Sunday dinner is a ritual that we all look forward to and hopefully will pass down to our traditions. Today we […]
Are you in love with everything rustic and obsess over anything you see on Fixer Upper? Are you also busy working on your business and career? Why not blend those to passions with a rustic-inspired office? If this describes you we have 4 Tips for Decorating a Rustic Inspired Office from Katie Skoloff, Founder and Principal Designer of […]
Howard Homecoming is just around the around. Although I won’t be able to attend this year, I will be there in spirit by hosting a Tailgating and Dinner party at my home. If you are missing out on Howard University Tailgating this year, get some inspiration from our Howard University Tailgating and Dinner Party Inspiration Video. We […]
Tailgate season is here and we are so excited. Nothing like an HBCU homecoming season and we are so excited these favorites for the FAMU Belle. Check out a few of our favorite Florida Classic Tailgating Essentials from Tervis as well as their favorite tailgate selections! Be sure to share your tailgating fun with us on social […]
Today we have a beautiful home tour in the bustling southern city of Charlotte, NC. If you are as enamored by this space as we are, the designer behind this tour, Cheryl Luckett, founder of Dwell by Cheryl Interiors, is here to help. Cheryl is a Mississippi belle based in Charlotte, NC and she has given us 3 Tips to […]
We rarely get to use our chimneys in the South but when we get the chance to do it, we love them. Whether you have a wood burning or gas fireplace it is important to properly prepare them for the fall and winter seasons to ensure both their functionality and your safety. Accidents involving fireplaces can […]
Getting married is an exciting experience, no doubt. That’s probably why after the bridal showers and wedding receptions, finances are one of the last things you’re likely to think about., Quite like changing the oil in your car, managing finances can be tricky – so here are six financial tips for newlyweds just getting started. […]