Marching bands, great athletics, school spirit out of this world, tailgating and amazing dancers are just some of the aspects that make the HBCU homecoming experience one of a kind. It is the time of year where you get to wear hoodies and varsity jackets representing your school and you get to learn your university’s history in depth with daily events and activities during the week of homecoming. Not to mention, you meet some of the many great notable alumni from your HBCU and the Greeks from the divine nine [of course] stomp holes in the yard! Besides your own HBCU homecoming, these are ten southern HBCU homecomings that you should consider attending.
1. South Carolina State University in Orangeburg, SC is home of award winning, Marching 101 and their popping Champagne Dancers. Attending their homecoming events, from their parade up to their concerts, step show, and football game (where every participant from football, band, and spirit teams are winners) is such a great experience. The big portion of local alumni make this homecoming family friendly and students from about all of the schools in South Carolina come celebrate with the Bulldogs at SC State!
2. Alabama State University in Montgomery, AL will most definitely provide you with the Turkey Day Classic you are looking for. If you don’t know what the buzz is about, visit the Almighty ASU and feel the Hornets’ sting!
3. Florida A&M University all the way down at the tip of the state [Tallahassee], is home of word famous, Marching 100. Of course, their football team in outstanding, so are their concerts, but people will travel miles away just to sit in the stadium and hear the melodies of Marching 100 and see the Diamond Dancers dazzle!
4. Winston-Salem State University of Winston- Salem, NC has one of the greatest homecoming experiences ever. From having world renowned artists and comedians perform, to their great Greeks, and what can be considered some of the greatest HBCU cheer squads ever, you should really go rumble with the Rams!
5. Clark Atlanta University in the “capital of the South” is sure to show you a good time during homecoming. I am pretty sure you are aware of all of the hot celebs that come straight out of the “dirty dirty,” and you know performers show plenty of love to their hometowns, which is why you should really attend a Clark Atlanta homecoming, other than the great athletics, food, and school spirit.
6. Southern University at Baton Rouge can give you a lifetime homecoming experience with the true Dancing Dolls! This homecoming game alone will keep you hype the entire time, so just imagine all of the other festivities that this beautiful school has to offer in this interesting city.
7. Texas Southern University’s homecoming is really one for the books. These homecomings do things a little differently from other HBCU homecomings, such as bowl-a-thons and a golf tournament. If you want classic HBCU homecoming with a twist, this would be a perfect option for you.
8. North Carolina A&T University of Greensboro, NC is known as “the greatest homecoming on earth.” If you go to an HBCU, your school pride will definitely make you beg to differ about it being “the greatest homecoming on earth,” but let’s be real… you and I both know for a fact that it is indeed pretty close. Join the Aggie’s and never miss a beat!
9. Virginia State University has homecomings that are sure to entertain you the entire time you are there, whether you go visit the Monday during the week of homecoming, or the actually homecoming day, the Trojans will have your mind blown with all of their plenty activities.
10. Tennessee State University is open to you and your family help them “celebrate a legacy of pride and progress” with another of the best marching bands in the world. Join the Tigers and roar with pride during open season!
Tons of planning goes into the wedding and making sure your guests enjoy themselves. But there are a few special moments during the wedding process that are just for the couple and one of these moments is the Engagement Session. This photo session is a chance to enjoy each other and bask in the moment […]
Are you in the process of planning a birthday party for your little one? Today we are here to help with tips from southern mom, Ashleigh L Murriel, PhD. This Georgia mom threw her daughter, a Scarlett Grace’s first birthday a true Georgia Peach Birthday Party. Get some inspiration on How to Plan a Southern Baby Party with […]
Do you dream of the tropical resorts and a beautiful beachfront view? So do we and there is nothing wrong with that. No matter what stage of life you are, you should always enjoy life with style and celebrate yourself. Today we have some inspiration for the expecting mothers. If coastal style is your thing, […]
Howard University Alum dream about homecoming all year long. From the moment we step back off the plane to our real lives, we are already plotting and planning for next years homecoming festivities. If you are an alum who has to travel back and forth to the Mecca each year, you should take every opportunity […]
Hosting a brunch after FAMU Homecoming? We are here to help. No need to host your friends at a busy restaurant, skip the line and have a party in your home or at another friend’s home. We know rattlers are stylish ladies and exude Black Southern Belle style. Today we are choosing a few 7 […]
HBCU homecoming season will be here before you know it and there is nothing like an HBCU tailgate. Today we are giving you some our favorite southern tailgate essentials to up your tailgate game. If you are looking for some fall fun, make sure to add a few HBCU Homecoming events to your schedule. Get […]
Every Black Southern Belle Bride loves getting dolled up and taking pictures. But even as much as we love it, our bridal portraits are a special breed of pictures. If you are a recently engaged bride planning her bridal portraits, we are here to help. We have 3 Tips to Prepare for Bridal Portraits with help […]
Are you a busy mom who loves a well-decorated home but need some help childproofing your style?Today we are here to give you Tips on How to Have Bold Style that is Child Friendly with style influencer, designer/author Justina Blakeney and her performance fabric collectionthat features Crypton Home Fabric technology for superior stain resistance, easy […]
The family is of the utmost importance to the Black Southern Belle. From Sunday dinner to church gatherings, we are always thinking of our family first. As summer comes to a close, we want to highlight one of the biggest and most cherished family traditions, the African American Family Reunion. From the food to the […]
Whether you are a Black Southern Belle bride or just love hosting a formal party, calligraphy should be in your arsenal of party tools. If you are looking for inspiration on what to consider when choosing wedding calligraphy, we have the resource for you. Veteran Calligraphers, Laura Hooper and Alyssa hooper have released a Pinterest-worthy […]