There is nothing more important than spending time with your family, especially for a Black Southern Belle. We all have memories of eating dinner, going on vacation and laughing with our families. Today we are highlighting just that and have curated Vintage Images of African American Families We Love! Vintage Images of African American Families We […]
Marching bands, great athletics, school spirit out of this world, tailgating and amazing dancers are just some of the aspects that make the HBCU homecoming experience one of a kind. It is the time of year where you get to wear hoodies and varsity jackets representing your school and you get to learn your university’s history in depth with daily events and activities during the week of homecoming. Not to mention, you meet some of the many great notable alumni from your HBCU and the Greeks from the divine nine [of course] stomp holes in the yard! Besides your own HBCU homecoming, these are ten southern HBCU homecomings that you should consider attending.
1. South Carolina State University in Orangeburg, SC is home of award winning, Marching 101 and their popping Champagne Dancers. Attending their homecoming events, from their parade up to their concerts, step show, and football game (where every participant from football, band, and spirit teams are winners) is such a great experience. The big portion of local alumni make this homecoming family friendly and students from about all of the schools in South Carolina come celebrate with the Bulldogs at SC State!
2. Alabama State University in Montgomery, AL will most definitely provide you with the Turkey Day Classic you are looking for. If you don’t know what the buzz is about, visit the Almighty ASU and feel the Hornets’ sting!
3. Florida A&M University all the way down at the tip of the state [Tallahassee], is home of word famous, Marching 100. Of course, their football team in outstanding, so are their concerts, but people will travel miles away just to sit in the stadium and hear the melodies of Marching 100 and see the Diamond Dancers dazzle!
4. Winston-Salem State University of Winston- Salem, NC has one of the greatest homecoming experiences ever. From having world renowned artists and comedians perform, to their great Greeks, and what can be considered some of the greatest HBCU cheer squads ever, you should really go rumble with the Rams!
5. Clark Atlanta University in the “capital of the South” is sure to show you a good time during homecoming. I am pretty sure you are aware of all of the hot celebs that come straight out of the “dirty dirty,” and you know performers show plenty of love to their hometowns, which is why you should really attend a Clark Atlanta homecoming, other than the great athletics, food, and school spirit.
6. Southern University at Baton Rouge can give you a lifetime homecoming experience with the true Dancing Dolls! This homecoming game alone will keep you hype the entire time, so just imagine all of the other festivities that this beautiful school has to offer in this interesting city.
7. Texas Southern University’s homecoming is really one for the books. These homecomings do things a little differently from other HBCU homecomings, such as bowl-a-thons and a golf tournament. If you want classic HBCU homecoming with a twist, this would be a perfect option for you.
8. North Carolina A&T University of Greensboro, NC is known as “the greatest homecoming on earth.” If you go to an HBCU, your school pride will definitely make you beg to differ about it being “the greatest homecoming on earth,” but let’s be real… you and I both know for a fact that it is indeed pretty close. Join the Aggie’s and never miss a beat!
9. Virginia State University has homecomings that are sure to entertain you the entire time you are there, whether you go visit the Monday during the week of homecoming, or the actually homecoming day, the Trojans will have your mind blown with all of their plenty activities.
10. Tennessee State University is open to you and your family help them “celebrate a legacy of pride and progress” with another of the best marching bands in the world. Join the Tigers and roar with pride during open season!
Do you love learning about history and also love southern food? We have the perfect list for you today. From Gullah food to whole hog BBQ, there are a number of cuisines to explore in the spectrum of soul food. My favorite soul food is influenced by church celebrations and today we are giving you […]
It is never to early to start planning for summer vacations and what better way to do that than through reading some great books. Today we are sharing Our Favorite Books on African American Beaches. If you love history and enjoy spending time on the water, these books are perfect for you. Take a trip through […]
Today we are featuring some of our favorite Images of Coretta Scott King. These images exude her classic grace and elegance as long as a little bit of her fun and playful side playing the roles of activist, wife, mom and more. She is the shining example of a Black Southern Belle and we are […]
What could be better than savoring the taste of Lowcountry cuisine from award-winning restaurants in Charleston? Enjoying them while enjoying a beautiful sunset over the Holy City, of course. With its warm climate and gorgeous sunsets over the Charleston Harbor, you couldn’t ask for a perfect place to wine, dine, and unwind. Here are the Top 10 […]
Today we are featuring a beautiful Kernersville, NC Wedding with Garden Style. This northern bride has decided to put her family and marriage roots in the South. Her beautiful garden-inspired wedding left us speechless and we are so honored to share the story of her nuptials. Take some time to get inspired with this beautiful garden […]
Spring is right around the corner and we can’t wait. There is nothing more fun than a garden party in the Spring, especially one planned by a Back Southern Belle. Today we are featuring a beautiful Pink and Green Inspired Dinner Party in Gainesville, GA and hope it gives you all the inspiration you need […]
Family reunion planning is in full swing a few months out before summer. Feeling a little overwhelmed as you get things started? We have some resources to make the process the easier and ultimately fun. To get you started with planning, we have curated Books on How to Plan Your African American Family Reunion. Whether it […]
Do you love crafting and DIY? Of course, you do, you are a Black Southern Belle. For as long as I can remember, there were always women in my life making fun and unique crafts. If you want to learn more about the roots of crafting, these 5 Books About African American Artisans and Crafting are […]
Are you a Black Southern Belle who loves fashion and decor? Why not merge those two loves together and add some fashion inspired style to your home decor collection. To get you started, we are sharing a few of our favorite African American Fashion Books To Add to Your Collection. From vintage to modern, there is […]