Sring is here and we are ready for outdoor entertaining. If you are looking for some inspiration for tips on how to create a southern inspired outdoor oasis, we have exactly what you need. We partnered with Home Depot for the Patio Style Challenge. Using products from Home Depot’s Mix and Match collection, we were […]
Marching bands, great athletics, school spirit out of this world, tailgating and amazing dancers are just some of the aspects that make the HBCU homecoming experience one of a kind. It is the time of year where you get to wear hoodies and varsity jackets representing your school and you get to learn your university’s history in depth with daily events and activities during the week of homecoming. Not to mention, you meet some of the many great notable alumni from your HBCU and the Greeks from the divine nine [of course] stomp holes in the yard! Besides your own HBCU homecoming, these are ten southern HBCU homecomings that you should consider attending.
1. South Carolina State University in Orangeburg, SC is home of award winning, Marching 101 and their popping Champagne Dancers. Attending their homecoming events, from their parade up to their concerts, step show, and football game (where every participant from football, band, and spirit teams are winners) is such a great experience. The big portion of local alumni make this homecoming family friendly and students from about all of the schools in South Carolina come celebrate with the Bulldogs at SC State!
2. Alabama State University in Montgomery, AL will most definitely provide you with the Turkey Day Classic you are looking for. If you don’t know what the buzz is about, visit the Almighty ASU and feel the Hornets’ sting!
3. Florida A&M University all the way down at the tip of the state [Tallahassee], is home of word famous, Marching 100. Of course, their football team in outstanding, so are their concerts, but people will travel miles away just to sit in the stadium and hear the melodies of Marching 100 and see the Diamond Dancers dazzle!
4. Winston-Salem State University of Winston- Salem, NC has one of the greatest homecoming experiences ever. From having world renowned artists and comedians perform, to their great Greeks, and what can be considered some of the greatest HBCU cheer squads ever, you should really go rumble with the Rams!
5. Clark Atlanta University in the “capital of the South” is sure to show you a good time during homecoming. I am pretty sure you are aware of all of the hot celebs that come straight out of the “dirty dirty,” and you know performers show plenty of love to their hometowns, which is why you should really attend a Clark Atlanta homecoming, other than the great athletics, food, and school spirit.
6. Southern University at Baton Rouge can give you a lifetime homecoming experience with the true Dancing Dolls! This homecoming game alone will keep you hype the entire time, so just imagine all of the other festivities that this beautiful school has to offer in this interesting city.
7. Texas Southern University’s homecoming is really one for the books. These homecomings do things a little differently from other HBCU homecomings, such as bowl-a-thons and a golf tournament. If you want classic HBCU homecoming with a twist, this would be a perfect option for you.
8. North Carolina A&T University of Greensboro, NC is known as “the greatest homecoming on earth.” If you go to an HBCU, your school pride will definitely make you beg to differ about it being “the greatest homecoming on earth,” but let’s be real… you and I both know for a fact that it is indeed pretty close. Join the Aggie’s and never miss a beat!
9. Virginia State University has homecomings that are sure to entertain you the entire time you are there, whether you go visit the Monday during the week of homecoming, or the actually homecoming day, the Trojans will have your mind blown with all of their plenty activities.
10. Tennessee State University is open to you and your family help them “celebrate a legacy of pride and progress” with another of the best marching bands in the world. Join the Tigers and roar with pride during open season!
From Daisy Bates to Oprah Winfrey, black women in the South have blazed the trails of journalism. We reached out to black female journalists — women who are either from the South or who now call the region home– to ask them how they found their voices for storytelling. We also asked them to recommend […]
Spring is here and that means it is time to pull out your favorite southern styles. Nothing says spring in the South quite like a great plaid piece. This forever classic pattern adds a bit of chic to any outfits. Today we have Tips for Styling with Plaid from Unlikely Martha and Unlikely Market. These […]
Do you want to add a little touch of elegance to your home? Antiques are a great way to start. Whether you have a modern condo or a classic Victorian dwelling, antiques are always a great way to add layered style to any southern home. With help from Tennessee based Interior Designer, Chad James, we […]
Mother’s Day is right around the girl. Every Black Southern Belle has a mother or mother figure who helped shaped them into who they are. Why not celebrate your mom with a stylish gift. Today we have a curated list of Black Owned Mother’s Day Gifts from Effie’s Paper. These gifts are sure to be a […]
Do you love music and home decor? Why not blend those two interests together. If you want to add a bit of soul to your home, check out these African American Album Covers to Use as Art. You can choose from any era or any genre, these are favorite ways to add some personality to any […]
Derby season is here and we can’t be more excited. There is nothing like a cocktail dress in the Spring to get you excited for Derby fun but the most important element for a Black Southern Belle is her hat. Today we are sharing African American Kentucky Derby Hat Inspiration to help you plan your outfit […]
Looking to add some unique style to your Black Southern Belle home? Nothing is better than a unique gallery wall. Today we are sharing African American Movie Posters to Add to Your Gallery Wall. If you love movies and decor, this list is the perfect way to have a fun and easy DIY project to […]
What is better than one cute kid? Two of course. Today we are celebrating the beauty of twin children. We have curated images of African American Twins Kids Too Cute to Miss. We can’t get enough of these vintahe photo and precious duos. Have a special pair of twins in your life? Sharing their image with […]
Farming and gardening is a huge part of southern culture. Every Black Southern Belle has a grandmother, mom or father with a serious green thumb. Fresh vegetables make holiday meals that much better and there is nothing better than fresh fruit from your family’s farm. Today we are showcasing African American Farming From The Past […]