Memorial Day is celebrated every May but few people know that it has strong southern and African American Roots. According to SavingPlaces.org, ” Every May, the nation marks Memorial Day, the longstanding tradition we use to recognize fallen veterans. The holiday has its origins in “Decoration Day,” originally held in Charleston, South Carolina in 1865, when […]
Growing up as a Black Southern Belle, we all have memories attending church with our friends and family. There is something special about attending your hometown family church and seeing everyone you know in one room. Today we are showingA�12 Pieces of African American Church Art that show just that. These pieces send us back in time and would look great in any room of your home. So if you are decorating or just want to head down memory lane, check out ourA�12 Pieces of African American Church Art We Love!
1)We adore this piece by Jonathan Green. Nothing like the beautiful colors and sundresses. Perfect for a colorful piece to add to your office.
2) This piece is a depiction of a baptism in the river. A great addition to any living room or guestroom.
3) This piece from John Jones is a perfect display of getting dressed up to attend church and walking in with your mom on Sunday, with pearls and all.
4) This is a classic piece of church fellowship outside of the sanctuary. There are so many memories of gathering before and after service outside of the Church.
5) This beautiful piece from Jonathan Green is a display of classic church style, gloves, pearls and hats included.
6) There is a special place in our hearts for small churches in the South and this piece depicts that image perfectly.
7) This is another bold piece displaying a Baptism that we love and would love beautiful in a formal sitting area.
8) This piece from John Jones is bold and full of color. It has so much movement and character and would be a great addition to bedroom or library room.
9) This image of a small southern church is gorgeous and we love seeing the image of the children hanging outside on a warm day. So many memories that we can all relate to here.
10) This piece is perfect for anyone loves yellow. It would look beautiful as a display in a powder room or breakfast room.
11) This image is and honest depiction of first Sunday at Church. We love seeing the all white outfits paired with beautiful white hats and gloves.
12) Sometimes we couldn’t didn’tA�want to get out of bed and our grandmother had to give us a little push. This is a fun image to remind us of the times we spent going to church with our grandparents.
12) Thunderstorms happen all the time in the South but they don’t stop the show. This image displays a baptism taking place during a thunder storm and would look great display in a bedroom or office.
As much as I love my home, just a few weeks ago, my backyard was not my favorite space. With help from Pavestone and Home Depot, I was able to create and style a beautiful southern outdoor oasis. Over a few days, my husband and mother were able to transform our backyard into a beautiful […]
Looking for some last minute derby party inspiration? We have you covered. Today we are showing some fun from our recent Black Southern Belle party with Kentucky Derby Baby Shower Style. From classic red roses, to fun antiques and a fair share of horses, these images are sure to inspire you for your last minute […]
Today we are featuring one of the most important leaders of the Civil Rights Movement. A Mississippi native and political power house, Hamer is a truly powerful Black Southern Belle. Today we are showcasing her power throughA�12 Prolific Images of Fannie Lou Hamer. Hamer shaped the world we live in today and we are honored […]
Sring is here and we are ready for outdoor entertaining. If you are looking for some inspiration for tips on how to create a southern inspired outdoor oasis, we have exactly what you need. We partnered with Home Depot for the Patio Style Challenge. Using products from Home Depota��s Mix and Match collection, we were […]
From Daisy Bates to Oprah Winfrey, black women in the South have blazed the trails of journalism. We reached out to black female journalists — women who are either from the South or who now call the region home– to ask them how they found their voices for storytelling. We also asked them to recommend […]
Spring is here and that means it is time to pull out your favorite southern styles. Nothing says spring in the South quite like a great plaid piece. This forever classic pattern adds a bit of chic to any outfits.A� Today we have Tips for Styling with Plaid fromA� Unlikely Martha and Unlikely Market. These […]
Do you want to add a little touch of elegance to your home? Antiques are a great way to start. Whether you have a modern condo or a classic Victorian dwelling, antiques are always a great way to add layered style to any southern home. With help from Tennessee based Interior Designer, Chad James, we […]
Mother’s Day is right around the girl. Every Black Southern Belle has a mother or mother figure who helped shaped them into who they are. Why not celebrate your mom with a stylish gift. Today we have a curated list ofA�Black Owned Mother’s Day Gifts from Effie’s Paper.A� These gifts are sure to be a […]
Do you love music and home decor? Why not blend those two interests together. If you want to add a bit of soul to your home, check out these AfricanA�American Album Covers to Use as Art. You can choose from any era or any genre, these are favorite ways to add some personality to any […]